What is Endodontics (Root Canal Treatment)?
Endodontics is also known as root canal treatment. It is a form of treatment applied in cases where the pulp is damaged in such a way that it cannot repair itself. The pulp is a soft layer located in the innermost part of the tooth and consists of a vascular-nerve package. Often bacteria in broken teeth or deep caries lead to inflammation of the pulp. If the inflamed or damaged pulp is not removed, it will cause infection in the tooth and surrounding tissues, As a result, the tooth will be lost.
How is Root Canal Treatment Performed?
- The first stage begins with anesthesia, which is performed on the tooth so that the treatment is painless.
- Then the caries is cleaned, and the inflamed pulp is removed. All nerve and tissue residues in the root canal are cleaned.
- The canals are expanded up to the root tip and canal irrigation is done with appropriate solutions.
- If it is a treatment that will last more than one session, the healing is accelerated by placing appropriate medicines in the canals and a temporary filling is placed on the tooth between sessions.
- When healing is assured, the canals are filled to the root tip with a special filler.
How Long Does Root Canal Treatment Take?
This depends on the condition of the tooth. In some cases, a healthy filling can be done in a single session but in some cases, more than one session is needed (until we are sure of the healing in the tissues).
Is It a Painful Treatment?
Since local anesthesia is applied to the tooth, the patient does not feel any pain.
How long is the life of the treated tooth?
A tooth with root canal treatment can be used for a lifetime after taking precautions to prevent the tooth from decaying and becoming infected again. However, regular dental check-up is essential in this process.
What are the Post-Treatment Care Recommendations?
In order for a treated and saved tooth to be used for a lifetime, it is necessary to perform the right care. First of all, it is important to take care of your oral and dental care. It is important to brush your teeth regularly and use dental floss. Taking good care of your teeth will help you in preventing the emergence of new problems. Afterwards, it is essential to visit your dentist regularly for dental cleaning and check-ups. In addition, it is useful to avoid chewing hard foods in order not to break your teeth and damage the root canal treatments.